Salary Commensurate with Experience
The Southern California Regional Rail Authority (SCRRA), operator of the METROLINK Commuter Rail System, is seeking a Chief Auditor who will coordinate all SCRRA internal audit activities to help ensure the economy, efficiency and effectiveness of all SCRRA programs and operations. This position is responsible for overseeing and making recommendations to improve the effectiveness of SCRRA’s internal controls environment, ensuring that adequate, cost-effective controls are in place to prevent and detect fraud, waste and abuse within SCRRA’s operations and programs. This position is located at SCRRA’s main office location, One Gateway Plaza, 12th floor, Los Angeles CA 90012.
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Management and Audit Committee (EMAC) with independent reporting responsibilities to the SCRRA Board of Directors, this position will:
- Work with the CEO and SCRRA Board of Directors to ensure independent assessments of SCRRA performance in accordance with professional auditing and oversight standards;
- Conduct reviews and audits requested by the Chief Executive Officer and EMAC, provided such review and audits do not compromise the independence and objectivity of the internal audit function;
- Plan, direct, and implement a comprehensive annual internal audit plan to assess operations, financial and performance risks;
- Prepare and review an annual internal audit budget to support the approved audit plan and account for risk contingencies during the fiscal year;
- Make actionable and timely recommendations to management to address, resolve, and/or mitigate all audit, review, and examination findings;
- Review and report on the accuracy, timeliness, and relevance of financial reporting and other information that is provided to management;
- Select, and assign other staff and contract auditors to review, examine, and audit SCRRA business processes, functions, projects, and programs;
- Coordinate SCRRA audit activities with those of Member Agencies’ audit groups to avoid duplication of effort and maximize the use of audit resources;
- Serve as the audit liaison for all external and third party auditors, including the audits required by the Member Agencies, Federal Transit Administration (FTA), CAFR, American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), OSHA, and others;
- Become knowledgeable of the roles/responsibilities and reporting obligations to the transportation funding agencies, including the FTA, FRA, DHS, California Transportation Committee, SCAG, CALTRANS, Member Sponsoring Agencies, and other state, local public works and agencies;
- Prepare quarterly, and as required, reports for the Executive Management Audit Committee and SCRRA Board on SCRRA operations and performance;
- Ensure staff compliance with policies, procedures, regulations, and federal laws and ensure quality standards are being met;
- Participate in various cross-functional committees in order to advise management on recommendations to improve SCRRA’s operations and programs and to help SCRRA achieve its organizational goals and objectives;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or a related field;
- Minimum of five years work experience in a senior level management position in an internal auditing unit;
- Minimum of five years of progressive work experience in an auditing, accounting, finance or a related field;
- Working knowledge of accounting and budgeting principles and practices used in financial reporting;
- Working knowledge and understanding of public agency grants management and administration;
- Working knowledge of governmental accounting, cost accounting and budgeting in a public environment;
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), General Accounting Standards (GAS), and familiarity with the FTA grant requirements;
- Ability to comprehend the public service environment, SCRRA mission, objectives and business model;
- Ability and willingness to build team cohesiveness by establishing, communicating and reinforcing shared values and norms;
- Ability to create a work environment that encourages excellence, rewards performance and embraces change;
- Preference will be given to those candidates with professional audit certifications (CIA, CPA, CISA, CFE) in good standing;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office;
- Demonstrate strong and effective communication skills both verbally and in writing;
- Demonstrate strong and effective organizational and time management skills;
- Valid Class C Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record of no more than three moving violations and no DUI’s within the last three years.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit resume to email@example.com
Following a review of resumes and/or applications, only those applicants who meet minimum requirements will be invited to continue in the selection process. Eligible applicants will be notified of the exact time and place of assessments and interview. Candidates will be interviewed to determine their relative knowledge, skills and ability in job related areas which may include, but not be limited to, specific job knowledge, verbal and written communication skills, organization and planning skills. Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a reference check, including degree verification, criminal records check and a pre-placement medical examination provide through SCRRA.
If you believe you possess a disability that requires accommodation for the testing process, please provide notice with your application materials or call the Human Resources Division at (213) 452-0417. Proper supporting documentation may be requested by SCRRA in order to accommodate special needs of candidates.
NOTE: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an express or implied contract and may be modified or revoked without notice.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER EEO/AA
After reviewing our openings and if you meet the minimum requirements, please click the “Apply” button at the bottom of the job announcement and attach your resume.