Engineering & Construction
The Engineering & Construction (E&C) Department provides the infrastructure required to operate the Metrolink commuter rail system through the design and construction of new facilities, and the maintenance, rehabilitation, inspection, coordination, and management of the infrastructure. The purpose and objective of this department is to provide safe, regulatory compliant and reliable track, bridge, and station facilities that meet the expectation of Metrolink and other passengers, freight operators, the public and elected officials. The E&C Department creates and maintains the Engineering Standards, Standard Specifications, Design Criteria Manual, Design Procedures Manual, Design Quality Assurance Plan, QA/QC Manual, CADD Manual and User Guide, and Track Charts.
SCRRA is entrusted (by the member agencies) with extremely valuable assets; the railroad corridors that were acquired by the railroad companies in the 1870s to 1900s and maintained and defended ever since. Designs must optimize the use of this asset in the following aspects of the agency’s functions.
- The Strategic Plan has postulated ridership growth and the train operations and infrastructure needed to achieve this growth. The Design Division supports the orderly transition from these concepts to constructed projects by several stages of increasing refined design and cost estimating.
- The designs must build a very high quality infrastructure that can be relied upon for this service expansion.
- The designs must accommodate potential or probable expansions in the capacity of the infrastructure such as much higher speed operation, electric traction power, heavier freight loads, or compatible shared uses of the corridor.
2558 Supply Street
Pomona, CA 91767
- In case of signal emergencies or grade crossing problems, call SCRRA's 24-hour toll-free signal emergency number (888) 446-9721. The telephone number and grade crossing numbers assigned by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) are located on the signal house located at each crossing.
- Underground Service Alert of California (DIGALERT) at (800) 227-2600 or 811, railway companies, and utility companies shall be notified prior to performing any excavation close to any underground pipeline, conduit, duct, wire, or other structure.
- SCRRA is not a member of DIGALERT, it is, therefore, necessary to call SCRRA Signal Department at (909) 592-1346 to mark, at Public Agency or Contractor’s cost and expense, signal and communication cables and conduits.
|Justin Fornelli||Director, Engineering & Construction||(909) 593-4291|
|Mary Lou Williams||Assistant Director, Program Management||(909) 451-2856|
|Wayne Mauthe||Assistant Director, Track & Structures||(909) 593-0463|
|Andy Althorp||Principal Engineer, Project Management||(909) 593-6973|
|Aaron Azevedo||Principal Engineer, Structures & Stations||(909) 392-8532|
|Elizabeth Lun||Principal Engineer, Design & Engineering||(909) 593-6419|
|Christos Sourmelis||Coordinator, Right-of-Way||(909) 392-8463|
|Scott Mallette||Business Analyst||(909) 593-4678|
|Tennille Garcia||Executive Assistant||(909) 596-5601|
0000 - Index of Engineering Standards
1000 - General
2000 - Track
2000 - Turnouts Common Standards
2000 - Turnouts Concrete Crossovers
2000 - Turnouts Maintenance Only
2000 - Turnouts No 8 and No 10 Double Slip
2000 - Turnouts No 10
2000 - Turnouts No 14
2000 - Turnouts No 20
2000 - Turnouts No 24
3000 - Stations
4000 - Grade Crossings
5000 - Right-of-Way
6000 - Structures
7000 - Maintenance and Layover Facilities
ES2101 – Standard Clearance of Structures
ES2102 – Minimum Clearance of Structures
ES5001 – Pipelines for Non-Flammable Substances across or along ROW
ES5002 – Pipelines for Flammable Substances across or along Right-of-Way
ES4301 – Traffic Control Work in Vicinity of Highway-Rail Grade Crossing
ES5105 – Welded Wire Mesh Fencing
SCRRA Highway-Rail Grade Crossings Recommended Design Practices and Standards Manual
Exhibits A through I, Grade Crossings Standards Manual
Exhibits J, Grade Crossings Standards Manual
Exhibits K, Part 1, Grade Crossings Standards Manual
Exhibits K, Part 2, Grade Crossings Standards Manual
Exhibits K, Part 3, Grade Crossings Standards Manual
Exhibits K, Part 4, Grade Crossings Standards Manual
SCRRA Right of Way Encroachment Process
Right of Way Encroachment Application
Schedule of Fees for Third Party Construction
SCRRA Form No. 4 – Agreement for Moving Oversized Loads over Highway-Rail Grade Crossings
SCRRA Form No. 5 – Indemnification and Assumption of Liability Agreement
SCRRA Form No. 6 – Temporary Right-of-Entry Agreement
SCRRA Form No. 37 – Rules and Requirements for Construction on Railway Property
Site Specific Work Plan (SSWP)
Train Traffic Density Exhibit for SCRRA System
General Safety Regulation for Third Party Construction